Quick Guide To The Best Hospital Beds For Home
What are the best hospital beds for home? Plus, what are the key features you need to look for? Read our quick guide to find out.
What Is a Hospital Bed For Home?
Are you or a loved one soon to be released from the hospital? Or do you simply need a bed more suitable for your changing needs? Then you may have been advised to look into a more suitable option, such as a hospital bed for home.
Simply put, a hospital bed for home is a specially designed bed that includes a variety of useful features to improve the comfort of the individual and the convenience of the carer.
What Features Should I Look For In The Best Hospital Bed For Home?
We have decades of experience when it comes to assisting people in finding the best hospital bed for their needs. We’re here to help you find a comfortable and cost-effective solution. So, what key features should you be looking for in the best hospital bed for your home?
1. A Comfortable Profiling Base
Firstly, the most important component of a hospital bed is its frame.
It’s essential to ensure that you have a profiling frame that can adjust to a comfortable sleeping and resting position.
2. Safety Features
Secondly, does the bed have an anti-entrapment mechanism that will sense an obstruction (such as a carer’s hand) and stop the movement of the bed?
How about other safety features, such as side rails to help with grip and reduce the chance of a fall?
Is the hospital bed comfortable and easy for the user to get onto?
- Hi-Lo Mechanism- Can the hospital bed be raised and lowered to help the user get into and out of bed?
- Tilting – Is there an option to tilt the angle of the bed to help with certain medical conditions such as swollen joints and high blood pressure?
The great news about hospital beds for home is that they don’t have to look like traditional clinical hospital beds. In fact today, hospital beds for home come in a wide variety of styles to suit you and your bedroom.
For example, the Adjust4Sleep Home Care Bed, as seen above, has a fully upholstered surround while maintaining the height adjustment and profiling functionality of a hospital bed. Plus, with a choice of upholstery and optional extras, the Home Care can be fully personalised to suit you and your home.
5. Easy to use Controls
Regardless of whether it will be the individual using it, or the carer, you should look for a hospital bed for home that has simple to use controls.
On the handset look for large, well-spaced buttons and clear labeling for the different bed functions.
Top tip- Make sure you have a go at using the buttons during your demonstration.
6. Helpful Accessories:
Look for a hospital bed for home that can be personalised to your needs and requirements with a variety of optional extras to choose from.
Popular accessories for medical beds include:
- Cot sides: These bed rails help to prevent falling out of bed at night
- Reading Lights: Directional lights to help with reading
- Inbuilt drawers: Inbuilt drawers create some useful additional storage space for your bedroom
- Cut out sides: Is there an option to add cut out sides if you will need to use a hoist to get in and out of bed
7. Other Considerations
- Payment– What is your budget? And have you taken into consideration you will need a new base as well as a specialist mattress? Are you able to pay in instalments? And do you need to put down a deposit
- Can you try it before you buy it? Reputable companies should provide a free demonstration where you can experience the bed for yourself.
- Check the dimensions– Will the hospital bed fit comfortably in the room, with easy access in and out of the door and around the room?
- Installation– Does the company you have chosen to deliver and install the bed, and is there an option to take your old bed away?
- Upkeep– How does the medical need to be maintained and is any servicing recommended?
What Are The Benefits Of Having a Hospital Bed For Home?
There are many benefits of having an Adjustable Bed at Home:
- Height & Position Adjustability: An electric hospital bed is perfect for people with limited mobility who need a similar level of comfort and mobility to that which is provided by a hospital bed. Profiling hospital beds for home are useful for those needing help sitting up, lying down, staying in bed, or those having difficulty moving, turning, or getting in or out of bed as a result of their surgery.
- Improved Accessibility: When beds have full height adjustability, this can also make it a lot easier to get in and out of bed, so you can be less reliant on carers. Adjustable height beds also mean that the bed can be positioned at the best height for wheelchair transfers, or can help lift you from a sitting to a standing position with the minimum of effort, just by pressing the appropriate button on the electronic handset.
- Health benefits: Hospital Beds for the home can greatly improve the quality of sleep, which is essential for recovering after surgery, or for those with pre-existing medical conditions
- Helpful For Carer’s Too: Another benefit of Medical beds at home is that they make it much easier for the care team too. As they can be adjusted so easily, it prevents the carer from having to get into difficult positions when moving around the bed.
Discover Our Range of Hospital beds for Home:
We hope this advice has helped you to choose the right bed for your needs. To view our range of hospital beds for home, click here to request a brochure.